Career in Law at Aligarh Muslim University
If career in Law fascinates you then law at AMU may be a good option for you.
The Faculty of Law, Aligarh Muslim University is the law school of the Aligarh Muslim University which has a history of over 100 years of teaching and writing law. The Department of Law at Aligarh Muslim University is one of the oldest Department in India. The teaching of Law in AMU was introduced in the year 1883. Sir Syed Ahmad Khan, the Founder was greatly impressed by the Programme of Legal Education in British Universities. So he was very keen to have legal education on that pattern in AMU also.
In 1960, the Department of Law came into being into a full-fledged Faculty.
Faculty of Law, popularly known as the mother Faculty has produced innumerable legal icons who have rendered their services to many reputed Law Faculties in India. Their services have keen acknowledged both at the Bench and the Bar.
Our Faculty is the pioneer Faculty to bring about radical change in the legal education in India to make it modern, socially relevant, economically viable, professionally job oriented and humanistic. It is the collabrated efforts by knowledgeable faculty and talented students that Faculty of Law is considered as a great seat of excellence in terms of academics and higher researches. Though, we have been amongst the top ten premier Law Faculties for the last many years, this year (2017-18), the Faculty has reached to the pinnacle of ranking i.e. stood 2nd in India despite being a part of University where there is always shortage of infrastructure and paucity of funds. (See Rank Here )
Career in Law at AMU is Exciting and Vibrant..
- One National Seminar was conducted by the Department in 2010 on Intellectual Property Rights (I.P.R.) in New Economy. Eminent Professors namely Prof. Madhava Menon, Prof. A.K. Kaul, Professor S.C. Srivastava, Prof. B.N. Pandey, Prof. Mir Farooq Ahmad, along with the representatives of U.S. Patent Office and many others have participated.
- Workshops on Sexual Harassment, success that succeeds Right to Information and many Ambedkar Memorial Lectures were successfully organized by the Faculty of Law; A.M.U.
- Around 40 students have successfully qualified NET/JRF/SRF, 65 students in PCS (J), one PCS (E) and two HJS.
- The Programme wise student teacher ratio at B.A.LLB. (Hons) is 1:22 and at LL.M. level 1:4.
- Approximately 20% of students are selected every year in various Judicial Services competition all over the Country. Some of them chase Corporate Companies and rest joins the Bar. Thus almost 100% of our students are well placed. Almost 25% students join LL.M. and Ph. D. Programme.
- Memorandum of Understanding- One of the greatest achievements of the Faculty of law is the signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between AMU and George Washington University, USA, one of the world’s leading higher educational Institutions in law, on 17 February 2010. This remarkable venture facilitates the faculty members and PhD or SJD candidates from each other institutions to participate for a semester or two as visiting scholars for the purpose of conducting research.
Courses offered by Faculty of Law, Aligarh Muslim University
If you are planning for career in Law at AMU, Faculty of Law is currently offering the following courses:
- Five years integrated Bachelor of Arts & Bachelor of Laws (B.A.,LL.B.)
- Two Year Master of Laws (LL.M.)
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.), and
- Diploma courses
Aligarh Muslim University (AMU) conducts a law entrance exam in order to offer admission to aspirants in the undergraduate and postgraduate law courses offered by it.
Eligibility Criteria for B.A.-LLB Course-
• Class XII certificate with minimum 50% aggregate marks.
• Aspirants should have passed a bridge course from Aligarh Muslim University with minimum 50% aggregate marks. It may be noted that this criteria is applicable only for graduates of Deeni Madaris.
Age criteria: Besides fulfilling the aforementioned AMU eligibility criteria, candidates should also be less than 22 years in age as on July 1 of the admission year.
Eligibility Criteria for LLM Course
Graduation degree in LLB/ BA LLB course offered at Aligarh Muslim University or any other recognised university with at least 55% aggregate marks meet the AMU law entrance exam 2017 eligibility criteria for LLM course admissions.
Entrance Exam pattern of Law, AMU
75 objective-type questions and 10 subjective-type short questions.
Duration- 2 hours
Topics/Subjects- General English, Current Affairs, General Knowledge, Reasoning & Aptitude.
20 short answer-type questions of 100 marks.
It may be noted that all questions in the exam will be of LLB/ BA LLB standard
Duration- 2 hours
Check AMU law entrance exam syllabus here.
AMU Law Entrance Exam Centre
BA LLB – Aligarh, Murshidabad (WB) & Malappuram (Kerala)
LLM – Aligarh
My Experience at Faculty of Law, Aligarh Muslim University
Class Hours: 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM
Faculty of all the departments is young or friendly in nature with having deep knowledge in their respective fields. Evaluation Method is too strict at our campus, which ensures that students work hard in their respective fields.
Separate Judiciary Coaching classes are organised by AMU free of charge for students aspring to make their career in Law. However, it has strict rules & regulations.
Student Culture and Activities
Many law students here aspire to join the judiciary which limits their participation in extra-curricular activities, except those organised by the law department of AMU.
There is a moot-court in our course of study, which is quite important in the career of a law student. There are also many co-curricular activities organised by AMU: street play, extempore, debates, essay writing competitions, moots etc.
There is a sports week in each semester to assess the ability of the students. Every year there is a LAW FEST organised at departmental level by AMU.
There different societies within AMU too, such as: Eco-society, Editorial society, Anti-ragging society, Judiciary Coaching Class Society, Women’s’ Cell etc.
AMU‘s campus placement cell is established newly, explaining the lack of effective placements. However, students are allowed to sit for placements through the concerned cell in the main branch of AMU in Aligarh.
The Alumni Network of AMU is quite wide, as it is a century old university. The students of AMU‘s law departments are continuously engaged in internships in Supreme court, High Courts, National Judicial Academy Bhopal etc.
If you have any questions before going for career in Law at AMU, feel free to write to us