Career Options in Hotel Management after 12th
There are a plethora of career options one can choose from after 12th depending upon individual aptitude and interests. In changing times while conventional careers have their takers, professional careers like BMM, Hotel Management, BMS and the likes are gaining popularity. While career options in hotel management has been available for a long time, factors like globalisation and media, have made this career look further more glamorous and fun.
With a hotel management degree in hand one can look at making a successful career in various fields of hospitality such as Hotels, Resorts, fast food chains, packaged foods industry and so on. Also, this is one career option that has umpteen international prospects and is hence a hot career pick amongst the young generation.
While this career may look very attractive and glamorous, to be in this industry demands certain qualities that can make or break your career. Strong communication skills, stress management, ability to adapt and work in different profiles, strong customer handling skills, numerical skills, pleasing personality, reasoning skills and the like, are basic skill sets this industry demands. Amongst thousands of pass outs there are only a few hundreds who actually end up sticking to the industry due to high demands and stress levels. Hence, if you are considering Career options in Hotel Management, we suggest you analyse pros and cons after referring to people within the industry and then invest your money and time in this career.
Eligibility for Career Options in Hotel Management
There are various degrees available for Hotel management courses and eligibility for each varies.
- Degree in Hotel Management: For a professional degree from a reputed Hotel management institute like IIHM(Taj), Welcome Group school of Hotel Management(ITC), the candidate must be a 12th pass with minimum 50% and having English as a compulsory language.
- Diploma in Hotel Management: Candidates who do not have 50% marks can opt for a diploma in Hotel Management degree which requires candidates to be 12th pass with minimum 40% marks.
- Certificate course in Hotel Management: Certificate courses are short term courses in hotel management generally with duration of 6months. Candidates can pursue certificate courses after their 12th.
- Post-graduation course in Hotel Management: After completing a graduation course in Hotel Management, candidates can opt for a Post-graduation degree in Hotel Management with a minimum of 45% marks in their graduation program.
Admission: Candidates who are eligible based on the eligibility criteria are required to appear for the Hotel Management entrance exam NCHMCT JEE that is conducted in the month of April. Applications for the same are generally out in the month of December. For details on the same check out their website NATIONAL COUNCIL FOR HOTEL MANAGEMENT AND CATERING TECHNOLOGY.
Apart from this there are other entrance exams conducted by autonomous training institutes followed by personal interviews and group discussions.
Courses to opt for
There are various courses open for candidates in the Hotel Management industry such as:
- Bachelor in Hotel Management (BHM)
- Diploma in Hotel Management
- Post Graduate Diploma in Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Hotel Management
- Bachelor of Science in Hotel Management
- BA (Hons) in Hotel Management
- BBA in Hotel Management
- Master of Science in Hotel Management
- MBA in Hotel Management
- Certificate Courses in Hotel and Catering Management
There are also short term courses conducted by Tourism ministry for students to enhance professional skills required for the industry.
Top colleges in Hotel Management
- Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), Mumbai: http://www.ihmctan.edu/
- Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), Delhi: http://www.ihmpusa.net/
- Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), Aurangabad: http://www.ihmaurangabad.ac.in/
- Welcome group Graduate School of Hotel Administration (WGSHA), Manipal: http://manipal.edu/mu.html
- Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), Bangalore: http://www.ihmbangalore.kar.nic.in/
- Institute of Hotel Management (IHM), Kolkata: http://www.ihmkolkata.org/
- Christ College: http://www.christuniversity.in/
Specialisation: Depending on one’s aptitude and interest levels, students can opt for specialised courses to enhance their hotel management degree. The specialisation branches include various facets of hospitality industry:
- Rooms Division: Front office & Housekeeping
- F&B Division: F&B Service & F&B Production
Career Options in Hotel Management
Upon acquiring a degree in Hotel Management, one should aim to get placed from campus for the initial training and hands on industry experience. Hotels like ITC, Taj, Hilton, Oberoi select students from campuses to train and groom them to meet industry expectations. Retail, Airline and FMCG, Merchant Navy and cruise ships also look at hiring hotel management graduates at various levels owing to their acquired service skills during the course.
As one moves up the career path, one can switch and juggle various profiles such as: Operations, Accountancy, Supply chain, Sales and Marketing etc. to enhance professional growth and learning.
Like we said, Hospitality may seem like a highly paying industry, which it sure is, but initial days could pose some struggle. Initially trainees get a stipend ranging from Rs.7,000 to 10,000 and move on gradually up the pay scale. Once one has established themselves in the industry, opportunities for growth and pay are umpteen.
Hospitality industry looks very lucrative and glamorous on the outside, but those who are from the industry would vouch for the hardwork and struggle this industry demands. Hence, before taking the plunge into Career options in Hotel Management, we would strongly recommend complete analysis of one’s strengths and weaknesses and then taking an informed decision.
If you are keen towards exploring career options in Hotel Management and facing any difficulty in getting correct information, please feel free to drop in a comment below. We would be glad to help you out.